Friday, July 20, 2012

The Pasalubong Culture

Whenever anybody I know leaves (either after being away for long time to work, a mall or business trip, or even simply after travelling around the country for a vacation) I often tell them “pasalubong ko”. This is the quintessential line. It doesn’t really have to be something extravagant or expensive. Who wouldn't love pasalubong? It's so ingrained in our culture  rooted deep down at the heart of society that will never go awayIf one forgets to bring pasalubong, it is certain that he will have to deal with tampuhan, which is basically a kind of irrational feeling of being "taken for granted" on the part of those who expected a pasalubong from someone but did not get any. In its broadest sense, the pasalubong I pertain to here will solely be on one way of showing thoughtfulness to one's family when he or she comes back from work. As a kid, that the ‘pasalubong’ was meant to say, “I’m home, I remembered you.” Growing up and even until this day, mommy and daddy would always hand me and my baby sister something they bought on their way home. Nothing makes me happier than a loved one coming back home, safe and sound, with my pasalubong in their hands. When I started earning, people at home can attest to the fact that I love giving them stuffs no matter how big or small that is. It's not really the grandness that matters, rather the thought that counts. Remember that pasalubong is always the act of giving without compensation. 

I thought I’d share the foods that I bought for pasalubong:
Assored pies from Conti's

cheese rolls from Mary Grace

Krispy Kreme

assorted bread from Sinfully

gummy worms and sour tapes from Candy corner


J.CO donuts