Friday, July 27, 2012

Cinemalaya 2012

Bey and I managed to watch two film entries: Oros and Mga Dayo. In Oros, a funeral parlor owner sells an unidentified body to Makoy, a kasero in a saklaan, who, along with his reluctant brother, Abet, set the stage for a three-week long fake wake holding the illegal saklaan.  Abet, in dirty rags but sill charming. Btw, is Kristoffer Martin related to Coco Martin? they both have a striking resemblance. Irritating shaky-camera is excessive only to feel dizzy in this movie. Needs further editing. Looking at it as a whole, isn't a particularly memorable film, but it's not all that bad either. It didn’t give me the thrills that I expected. I was hoping for many unnerving and gruesome scenes. The ending, which is completely predictable.  

While Mga Dayo, as the island of Guam celebrates the classic American holiday, the lives of the three Filipina immigrants intersect and find themselves at a tug‐o‐war of sacrifice and significance on where they must find their home or must they find it somewhere else. I didn't like it. It was so flat, tedious, untwisted and woefully boring.  A bad movie can still make you cry, laugh, angry but this film did not give me the option, the freedom, of actually feeling anything. Obviously, this film lack effective techniques to naturally make the viewer feel the emotion that the director intentionally planned for them.  It didn't make me feel any sympathy for the characters. It just irks me. There is also a constant blurring in the film. The whole storyline leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and probably in most viewers'. I don’t think anyone can say that this ended well. If you want a well-developed story line, don't bother.  

why hast thou failed me?